Pumpkin Soup


I know I've said it many times, but I love this time of year. It's comfy, cozy, leaf-changing, sweater & boot wearing, comfort food time! I told you here that one of my favourite things about fall is making soups etc. Over the weekend I whipped up our favourite soup {that I make} and thought I'd share it with you today.

So here you go:




Pumpkin Soup

- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
*Sauté in a pot until clear and soft - just don't brown*

Next Add the following:

- 2 cups of chicken stock 
- 1 potato {a good size}
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp thyme

*Bring to a boil and then let everything simmer until the potato is cooked through. Once the potato is cooked through, remove pot from burner and let cool before running it through a blender. Blend until it's a creamy consistency {sometimes I cheat and don't let it cool all the way}.
Once blended & creamy return to pot.

Next stir in:

-14 oz can of pumpkin pie filling {yup!}
- 2 cups of milk {I use skim and it turns out great!}

Blend in using a whisk {or use a spoon and just make sure the pumpkin is well blended}. If you find the soup is still a little thick for your liking you can add more milk to thin it out {I'll occasionally add a bit more milk}. Heat through & enjoy! 



There you have it. Delicious pumpkin soup. Sometimes I'll make a double batch and freeze some of it; I find it freezes well. 

I love that the pumpkin pie filling adds a bit of a sweet taste. I'm sure you could use pumpkin puree or pure pumpkin {I've never tried this} but it would end up with a different taste and I like it with the original hint of sweetness! I found this recipe on the internet a long while back {it's scribbled down on a recipe card in my recipe box}, so I'm not entirely sure where it originally came from. 

All I know is it's gooood! 


Linked to:
- 52 Mantels
- Ten June
- Centsational Girl

*photos updated September 2014*

Comments

  1. This looks delicious!! I found you on 52 Mantels and I am now following you. I would love it if you would follow me back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the follow! I'll definitely stop by your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I'm your newest follower, can't wait to see your future posts. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw your link on Ten June. Love Pumpkin. Love fall. LOVE this recipe! I'll definitely stop by and read some older (and newer!) posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Let me know if you try it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!