Chair Makeover (Finally!)



Over the weekend I finally tackled a task I have been wanting to do for a long time. Before I talked about the chair that resides in our home "office" here & here, I actually mentioned it way back here. Yup, that was eons ago. Talk about procrastinating. Let's hope I don't wait that long to do another project again. 



Surprisingly, it wasn't too difficult of a task. Once it was finished I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. Go figure. Seth helped take the old seat off and get all of the staples out.
Once Seth got the seat off it already looked 10x better!



Next up was detaching the the orange vinyl & old foam from the wooden base. I then took the foam I picked up at the fabric store and traced the wooden base on top with a sharpie {1&2}. After cutting out the foam I took it and placed it where I wanted it on the fabric {make sure it lines up straight!} & placed the wooden base on top of it {3}. Lastly I got stapling. You'll see below that I clearly had lots of excess fabric...whoops! {4}. Seth actually did the stapling while I held down the fabric, pulled it tight and tried to get the corners just right. After that we had to screw the base back on the chair and we were done!


Making sure the fabric was tight enough & making the corners "pretty" was definitely the hardest part. I really had no idea what I was doing. I kind of just went with the flow. It's definitely not perfect and the fabric could be tighter than what it is, but hey, it works. And most importantly it looks a whole lot better than it did!

Say goodbye to the orange vinyl, because it's never coming back!


  If you've followed along you might remember that I had it narrowed down to 4 fabric choices and some of you weighed in on this post and on facebook. In the end I went with the black & white stripe. I loved all the others too, but I figured the black & white stripe was the most "classic" look.

I also decided not to do anything to the frame of the chair. For now. I actually think I discovered what the engraved stamp on the back says and, if I am right, I think it was made by a company in Georgia named Brumby Marietta Chairs. I only see information on the site about rockers but am going to try and do a bit more research to see if there's any info regarding their chairs. Have any of you heard of this company? So, for now, the frame remains unpainted and I didn't end up putting stain on it. Plus, I actually don't mind the look as much anymore. I think the orange made it so much worse!



 For being the first time I've ever tackled something like this I think it turned out pretty good!
Have any of you ever tackled a project like this? If you have any advice I'd love to hear it!


Comments

  1. I absolutely love a good black and white.. especially if it's a stripe. I think it's safe to say that you won't tire of it! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black and white stripe is so crisp and pretty - it really sets off the wooden chair nicely:)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chair & perfect fabric choice! Stripes are always a great idea :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute, Leanne! I'm a sucker for black and white lately and stripes are always a classic in my book, so this is right up my alley. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!