A Little Bit of Art {In the Kitchen}


It's been 5 months and I still don't have anything on the walls. Well, aside from the shelves we put up in the bathroom the other week.

It's not that we don't have anything. We have things we could easily put on the walls from our last place. I'm just still uncertain where I want things to go and I guess I'm still dreaming & scheming of the overall vibe I want our home to have. However, after reading this post from a while back it's motivated me to get going & work away at things - even if in the end I decide to change things.

"Love where you are.  Beautify where you are. Your next house will be great too but, wherever you are right now, today, has enormous potential." - Nester

Again, thank you Nester.

So to get the ball rolling, I decided to create a piece of art for our kitchen. Perhaps it can't quite be called art because all I did was put words on a canvas. But for now it works.


I've seen this phrase all over {on printables, necklaces, etc. etc.} and I liked it. Plus, it's true for me. I considered purchasing a print and then I decided to tackle it on my own. I had a rather large canvas left over from the art class I took last fall + was equipped with paints so that = perfect. Here's the phrase I went with:

All I need today is a little bit of coffee & a whole lot of Jesus.

After lightly printing the above out on my canvas with pencil, I took my water colours and used my colour of choice {black} and got to it. At first it was just the words and then I thought it needed a little extra something. I debated adding a pop of colour somehow and then I decided I'd probably ruin it if I went that route without any real plan {or let's face it, practice}. So I opted for two bold squiggle lines to act as a sort of frame. Done.


I decided the most appropriate place for this piece was along our wall of our "island", right above the coffee maker. Makes sense, right?


You could easily do this with any phrase, quote, or verse that you like. The great part? It's something hand-made in your home. It's cheap {I bought this canvas for $3 at the dollar store in the fall}. It's personal. 

I'm happy with how it turned out. Is it perfect? No. Every time I look at it the perfectionist in me thinks that the bottom line should be higher {the space between is too much} & I wish my ampersand was better {those things are hard to make!}. The writing is a little crooked and some of the letters are bigger than others {and yes, I did mean to make the two "of"s smaller}. BUT, those little things make it a bit quirky & add to the overall feel of it; at least that's what I'm telling myself.

So while this may not be anything expensive or fancy, I like it and right now it works in my home. It has also made me want to play more with my watercolours and see what potentially lovely things I could come up with. 


What have you created for your home lately?

Comments