Whitewashed TerraCotta Pot


I've had the itch to do some crafting & projects lately. I'm trying to squeeze in some here and there. Or should I say, I've been making a list of things I'd like to try when I'm not busy chasing my 10 month old around. Here's a quick one that I did a couple of weeks ago.



I love the look of whitewash. It looks great on wood, but I also like the look it gives terracotta. Since I had a terracotta pot kickin' around I thought I'd try to give it the whitewash look. It probably only took about 10 minutes to do. If you're wanting to accomplish this same look all you need is a terracotta pot, white craft paint, water, and paper towel/a rag. Oh and a paint brush.


To get the white wash look: start painting small sections with craft paint - do small sections because the paint dries on the terracotta quite quickly. Before the section of paint dries, take your paper towel and dip it into a bit of water and then proceed to spread the paint with the wet towel. The idea is you want to be able to see some terracotta peeking through. Continue this until the whole pot is covered. It dries very quickly so you can pretty much use it instantly. One tip: Be sure to use the same stroke motion all the way around the pot. It looks best if the "brush" marks are all going the same direction.


I just love how it turned out. It's not perfect by any means, but that's what makes the look. It really brightens up our living room. A great little project to lighten up your wintery days!


Comments