The Easiest Kitchen Valence


A while back I decided that our kitchen needed a little something. The window over our sink has regular run of the mill blinds and I thought it might be nice to have a roman shade or curtain of some sort. I thought something like that might bring a bit of softness and cozy up the kitchen a bit.


Before fully committing (i.e. buying or sewing anything), I decided to throw a tension rod that I had on hand between the two cabinets over the window. I dug through my fabric stash to see what I could drape over it in order to get a feel of the valence look. I decided to try this navy & white stripe fabric as it fit perfectly and no cutting was needed. I simply folded the piece and hung it in a way that looked finished. I figured I'd live with it for a week or so before I decided if I liked the look.

Well, that was a few months ago and ever since it's just sort of stayed there. I just liked it, so it stayed, and I didn't bother doing anything to the fabric. I realized that you have to look real close to be able to see that the bottom & sides aren't hemmed. And no one is looking that close.


I like that it hides the blinds during the day (when they're pulled up). Plus, it's accomplished what I was hoping it would. It adds a bit of cozy that our kitchen was previously missing. 

Sometimes it's the small, quick fixes that make the biggest difference.

Comments